Thursday 11 June 2015

Request to the Home Secretary that she dismiss Justice Lowell Goddard from her post as Chair of the Child Abuse Inquiry

Today I wrote to the Home Secretary, Theresa May MP, to ask her to dismiss Justice Lowell Goddard on the grounds that the appointment of Justice Goddard is unlawful.

In February I wrote to Justice Goddard asking her to consider her position, on similar grounds.

See
Request to Justice Lowell Goddard that she withdraw or resign as Chair (Designate) of the Child Abuse Inquiry
for my letter of 23rd February 2015 to Justice Goddard.

In April I received a reply from the Child Abuse Inquiry indicating, albeit indirectly, that Justice Goddard was, in my terms, going to "tough it out".

I then wrote to Assistant Commissioner Helen King reporting what I believed to be the common law offence of Misconduct in Public Office by Justice Goddard.

See
Suspected misconduct in public office by Lowell Goddard
for the text of letter to Assistant Commissioner King regarding suspected misconduct in public office by Justice Goddard.

Assistant Commissioner King has acknowledged my letter.

I await the result of the Metropolitan Police Service investigation with interest.

Here is the text of today's letter to the Home Secretary:



12th June 2015


Theresa May MP
Home Secretary
[By email]


Dear Home Secretary,

Request that Justice Lowell Goddard be dismissed as Chair of the Child Abuse Inquiry

I write to ask that you dismiss Justice Lowell Goddard as Chair of the Child Abuse Inquiry.

On 23rd February 2015 I wrote to Justice Goddard expressing a number of concerns which led me to the conclusion that appointing Justice Goddard as Chair of the Child Abuse Inquiry was unlawful.

I enclose a copy of that letter for your information and assessment.

It remains my view that the appointment of Justice Goddard is unlawful.

You may wish to see my report of suspected misconduct in public office by Justice Goddard expressed in my letter of 12th May 2015 to Assistant Commissioner Helen King of the Metropolitan Police Service.

Assistant Commissioner King has acknowledged receipt of my report of suspected crime by Justice Goddard.

I await with interest the result of the investigation by the Metropolitan Police Service.

Distribution

This letter is a public document, as are my letters of 23rd February 2015 to Justice Goddard and 12th May 2015 to Assistant Commissioner King.

Actions requested of you

I ask that you carefully assess whether the appointment of Justice Goddard may be unlawful.

In my assessment the appointment of Justice Goddard is unlawful and, given that view, I consider that the only proper course open to you as Home Secretary is to dismiss Justice Goddard from her position as Chair of the Child Abuse Inquiry.


I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely




(Dr) Andrew Watt

Cc
Mark Sedwill, Permanent Secretary, Home Office

Enc
Letter of 23rd February 2015 to Justice Goddard

Letter of 12th May 2015 to Assistant Commissioner Helen King reporting suspected misconduct in public office by Justice Goddard

No comments:

Post a Comment